The Generational Thigh Gap

So I was driving in my car one day with the local Top 40 radio station on, bopping around to some of today's pop hits. (I'm not a music snob, and I think there's a reason popular music is popular: It's catchy and easy to dance to!)

And then that one Icona Pop song came on the radio-- you know, the one where the girls sing about throwing someone's shit down the stairs and driving a car into a bridge to watch it burn. 

"I don't care! I love it! I don't care!"

Good stuff to jump around to at home when you're by yourself and you don't have to own up to anybody else that you secretly like this stuff. At least I thought it was good stuff, until I heard the bridge:

The foreign girls sing:
You're on a different road, I'm in the milky way
You want me down on earth, but I am up in space
You're so damn hard to please, we gotta kill this switch
You're from the '70s, but I'm a '90s b*tch

SAY WHAT?! I remember the first time I made out the actual words... I felt slighted, called out, OLD. I started doing the math in my head. "So if someone was born, say in 1990, they'd be 23 now... HOLY CRAP. I graduated in 1993, so someone born in 1993 would be 20...." 

Son of a B, I am old!

I think the lyrics are about an older jerk boyfriend but still. As a person born in the '70s, and in deep denial of my aging, I was deeply offended. 

Scandalized, I played this song to my girlfriends who were also born in the '70s. They were all innocently bouncing around to the infectious beat, until the line, "You're from the '70s, but I'm a '90s bitch." 

Then there was this collective gasp and everyone stopped dancing. Hahaha! ("Oh no, she di-int!) I'll never forget it.

Talk about sobering. Still, in a lot of ways I'm glad that I was born in the '70s, and am NOT a '90s bitch. For one thing, we never had to think about the Thigh Gap growing up.

The Generational (Thigh) Gap


Have you heard about the this Thigh Gap business? It's an actual thing that young women are striving for. It's not about the 6-pack, or the big boobs, or the toned arms anymore for some young girls.

For those that don't know, the Thigh Gap is when you put your feet together and your upper thighs don't touch. It's something that's largely genetic and determined by your bone structure. And yet girls are resorting to extreme diet and exercise, and even plastic surgery to try to achieve this.

The Thigh Gap thing is such a big trend right now, it's even spawned an Anti-Thigh-Gap Movement on the internet! It's been all over the news lately too. Google it-- you'd be surprised how much attention it's been getting.

So if you have a thigh gap, cool. If you don't have a thigh gap, cool.

I'm just glad that I never had to consider the thigh gap when I was a teen or in my early 20s. I may or may not have had one back in my younger days, but I don't remember because I never thought about it.  I had enough angst to deal without beating myself up over something weird like that.

Anyway, here's Icona Pop with I Love It, just for funsies. This song makes me feel young and ancient at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment