The Horror Show in My Mouth

Warning: This post is not for the faint-of-heart or the squeamish. Reading beyond this point is done at your own risk.

Like this, minus the corsage.

The "minor" blood clotting I was experiencing last night turned into a full blown horror movie last night when I woke up at 2 a.m. chewing on a huge slug-like blob that had formed on the side of my mouth. I woke up literally chewing on something. I lumbered out of bed and into the bathroom. I turned on the light, opened my mouth, and looked in the mirror.

"OH HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYLLLL NO!" I screamed, startling Aron out of his slumber.

My mouth was a bloody mess. This was just... BEYOND.

Beyond normal.
Beyond Twilight.
Beyond Walking Dead.
Beyond Stigmata.
Beyond anything anyone should ever have to deal with just to get straight teeth.

The blob I had been chewing on was actually a gigantic blood clot, and it now covered all my lower left molars, both sides, and along the top. (I have a picture, but it's pretty gross, so I'm not going to post it. I can text it to you if you want to see it, though.) All my teeth, including my newly installed braces was coated in dark, red blood.

I was pretty sure a warm salt water rinse wasn't going to fix this.

Trying not to panic, I dug the humongous clots out of my mouth and rinsed until the sink was stained pink. I managed to clear out the clots, but I was still bleeding from one spot where one particular spacer was irritating my gums. Since I had dislodged the clots, I'd probably started the whole process all over again. I was certain that if I went back to sleep like this I'd only wake up to another giant blood blob.

At this point, I wasn't even sure if taking out the offending spacer would stop the bleeding, but it was really the only thing I could think to do. It took some doing, but a few good tugs with a pair of tweezers and the damn thing was out.

Thankfully, the bleeding stopped almost instantly.

I awoke the next day with no clots. Looking inside my mouth, there was no sign of the carnage of the night before. It was like nothing ever happened.

Looking at the bathroom, however, you would have thought I had slaughtered someone in the middle of the night.  I was dealing with a serious "splatter" situation. There was blood splatter everywhere-- the mirrors, the counter, even on my cute little flowered pajamas.

I called the ortho the next day, but since it was a Saturday my doctor wasn't in. There was a technician there who answered and when I described what had happened, all she said was, "Okay, well, just come back in around the 6th and we'll put the spacer back in."

Really?

I am compelled to say that my experience with the clotting is NOT NORMAL and that if you are going to get braces and need spacers in, you will likely NOT have this experience. I don't want to scare anyone from getting their teeth fixed. But this is what really happened to me, so there it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment